30 Days of Me: Bel's Day 10

Posted by Bel. The time is 2.17pm here in Wellington NZ

Songs you listen to when you are happy, sad, bored, hyped, mad

(The phrasing of this prompt confirms to me that this meme originated in the tween world.)
 

This song makes me happy and reminds me of dancing in the kitchen in Thompson Street:
 
"Postcards From Italy" by Beirut, from Gulag Orkestar


You can go to the Beirut website and download their song "Sunday Smile", which is also lovely.


Sad song? Yeah, dunno. I get a bit sad and anxious these days listening to Mos Def because I am terrified he is going to come here solely with the Gorillaz and I am going to miss out on seeing him live? Does that count?


Bored. Hmmm. When I'm at work and doing something mindless enough that I can wear earphones (I'm not one of those people who can listen to music and work, nope, never, it throws me off) then I head to myspace. Dessa Darling from Doomtree crew has lots of my favourites on her player, I am quite happy to have them on repeat.

"Mineshaft" by Dessa Darling, from False Hopes




"Hyped"? Try this song. I love to play it loud. I have fond memories of jumping up and down on the couch dancing to it on the night I got married, with my stepdaughter and my best friend.

"Je Veux Te Voir" by Yelle, from Pop Up




There's another version on youtube, with the French lyrics. You can google the English translation yourself, but WARNING: she might look cute as a sparkly wee button, but she has, 'ow do you say? LE POTTY MOUTH.


And for a song that is great to sing along to and get some cussing out of your system (Anglo-Saxon style), you can't go past these guys. Well, you can go past them these days, as their latest albums are awful, but let's not discuss that.

"Sink, Florida, Sink" by Against Me!, from as the Eternal Cowboy

PS Lou, have you checked out Against Me? You might like?