Book review: Persepolis - contains 'graphic content' heh heh

Posted by Bel. The time is 1:35pm here in Wellington, NZ.

To truly succeed, a graphic novel must work on both levels - appealing on a visual level while hand-in-hand delivering a story makes you want to keep turning the pages.

The autobiographical Persepolis does this wonderfully, as the bold black and white images enhance and strengthen a narrative that is breath-taking enough on its own.

This is a coming-of-age story, not just for a woman wrestling with self-image, feminism and romance, but also for her nation, as it is torn apart by revolution, religion and attacks.

I took this book to the gym with me one day, to read while pedalling away mindlessly on the exercycle. Big mistake. I found myself brought to tears in the middle of working out - yes, just by a comic book, but man, this one sure packs a whallop at times.

Funny, honest, thought-provoking, educational. If you didn't dig the movie, trust me - there's much, much more here.

--

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi - Highly recommended
First published 2000. Set in Iran/Austria, 1970/80s
#6 on 'The List' of 75 books total i.e I read this ages ago