Actors acting for the NY Times

| Posted by Bel | The time is 9.36am here in Wellington NZ |

Oscar buzz already? Oh yes, folks. The NY Times has cranked up a notch with a 'Hollywood Issue' which includes an online album The Scene Makers which translates to their endorsements for Oscar acting nominations.

The accompanying video gallery called Fourteen Actors Acting  [NSFW if you count Natalie Portman taking off a dress to reveal underwear as NSFW, but you could just skip that one] is a big scale production, featuring minute-long performances from each in stunning black and white with an orchestral soundtrack, recorded in Prague. Classy!





Some thoughts:
  • Michael Douglas looks like a character from a David Lynch film. I mean that in the very best way.
  • The word 'rapture' came to my mind when watching Tilda Swinton's performance. Interesting to read that it was an interpretation of Joan of Arc.
  • Javier Bardem can smash my crockery any day!! Mmm-hmmm! *snaps fingers*
  • I cannot waaaaaait to see Black Swan!! It's showing at The Embassy. Yuhessss.


This project made me think of Sam Taylor-Wood's photographic collection Crying Men. I was unimpressed when I saw this at Wellington's City Gallery a few years back (loved her other work), as none of the emotion supposedly being expressed in the images had any integrity. You knew it was all actors, so of course all the crying was just... actor crying.

Whereas these 'short films' or whatever they are, embrace the medium and the art, as the title evokes. It is reminescent of Andy Warhol's Screen Tests, which was recently developed into 13 Most Beautiful, a stage show with live music.



One thought on “Actors acting for the NY Times”

  1. Agreed on the STW exhibition in the Welly gallery. I have to say I thought it was pants, though, at the same time one part of me was also like Weeeeeeeeeeelllllll, I think it is good to see such people who are considered totally 'hypermasculine' crying. It seemed like a good precedent.

    Exhibition still pants though.

    PS - word verification - 'ungrat'... ha ha ha