The Oscars results

Posted by Lou. The time is 10.48am here in London.



I am totally freaking stoked that:

a)
The Hurt Locker so comprehensively cleaned up that nobody can say "it's because she's a woman" to Kathryn's deserved triumph; and

b) James Cameron's ego has been put back in check (or as Bel would say, the Academy have very much told him to SIT BACK DOWN).

But more importantly... how did we do?

Lou - 13/20

Probably one of my best efforts ever, thanks to the Ideal Scenario occurring for The Hurt Locker.

Correct:
  • Best Picture - The Hurt Locker - HIGH FIVES
  • Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker - HIGH FIVES WITH A JUMP AND A WOO AND A BIG HUG
  • Best Actor - Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart - though I knew Jeff would win, having now seen A Single Man I feel for Colin as he totally killed in that role
  • Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds - the traditional "quirky" acting performance reward - and well-deserved
  • Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Mo'Nique, Precious - it couldn't have not happened
  • Best Animated Feature Film - Up - I soooo want to see this!
  • Best Art Direction - Avatar - well deserved :) Mental note: YouTube this for Kiwi accent action
  • Best Documentary - The Cove - not sure I can bear to see this... but feel I should - which sounds like the perfect combination for a winning Best Doc
  • Best Film Editing - The Hurt Locker - totally well deserved for editing together the most tense film I have ever seen
  • Best Music (Score) - Up - I repeat: I soooo want to see this!
  • Best Music (Song) - Ryan Bingham, Crazy Heart - am going to watch this on a long-haul flight - may get teary over the song due to long-haul fragility
  • Best Visual Effects - Avatar - well deserved
  • Best Writing (Original Screenplay) - Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker - awesome - I love when young, heartfelt, passionate writers win this award
Wrong:
  • Best Actress - Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side (I said Meryl) - on one hand I think it's a bit of a farce, but on the other hand it's totally in-keeping with Oscar's history of awarding a person known for populist films an Oscar for going into "serious" territory. And on the other hand (I have three hands, apparently) it's not like there was a stand-out lead female performance this year.
  • Best Cinematography - Avatar (I said Inglourious Basterds) - a mostly-animated film winning this has confused my understanding of cinematography.
  • Best Costume Design - The Young Victoria (I said Bright Star) - I like that the woman acknowledged in receiving this that it's easier to win for period dramas
  • Best Foreign Language Film - Argentina's El Secreto de Sus Ojos (I said France's Un Prophete) - am genuinely surprised by A Prophet not winning this one and now eager to see the Argentinian film that toppled it
  • Best Sound Editing - The Hurt Locker (I said Avatar) - generally I get sound wrong as I don't really have an appreciation for or understand of "good sound"
  • Best Sound Mixing - The Hurt Locker (I said Inglourious Basterds) - ditto
  • Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Geoffrey Fletcher, Precious (I said Nick Hornby, An Education) - happy to get this one wrong :)


One thought on “The Oscars results”

  1. I just realised that my post about the Oscar picks didn't actually have my Oscar picks in it properly. FAIL.

    But I join you in high fiving and jumping and woo-ing re Kathryn Bigelow's Best Director Oscar. I'll be honest: I screamed, out loud, and quite loud. And clutched at the person nearest to me in an overly excited grabby way.

    Apparently ratings for the ceremony were the highest in years, with 70 million people tuning in for the crucial last few minutes. (I assume that's just in the US.)